After the crazy last few months of getting the royal portraits done, I’ve hit the wall a bit and I’ve powered down. Have not been able to sit at my easel at all (which means not a lot of landscapes, though I did start some), and I’ve not really felt like doing much other than practicing my drawing. All my originally seems to have deserted me. I know it will be back, I’ve just got to wait.
This meant I was able to take up something that i had sitting around that I’ve been studiously avoiding.
A number of years ago (like, 15 years) I wrote a little story and illustrated it. The illustrations were very rough. I didn’t do anything with it really, I thought about trying to get it published but I knew I had to redraw it.
So I did redraw it sometime later but I made two mistakes: I made the creatures all look identical, and way too creepy to boot.
See. Disturbing (if anyone remembers LiveJournal, this was my avatar there!)
So some time around a year ago, I did it again, this time i made sure to give all the critters a personality and a different colour, and I made much note of what I did and how they looked. I drew it up water-coloured it in but it just wasn’t doing it for me and it fell flat.
I also knew the story needed work. It was actually based on someone eating a redskin (this is an Australian sweetie) and it snapping his tooth out and having to go round with a gappy tooth hole, and everyone made suggestions for how to put the tooth back in.
I’ve started reworking my story, in rhyme. I write prose, stories, lyrics. Sometimes I’ve ventured into poetry but I don’t actually think I’m deep enough to write poetry. I’ve got the story flowing better. Still needs work.
I started working on the colour pencil recently, and I knew i had the answer to my problem.
Pen and watercolour:
Add coloured pencil: now it pops!
Another picture from the set:
And i have kept detailed notes on colours used – this is my idea of detailed notes, anyway. I made sure all the critters looked different, had different colours, and got drawn multiple times.
So i’ve done 8 very detailed works, and I’ve identified the need for at least 2 more large ones and a number of smaller action shots. This is what I’m working on at the moment.
When I’m not pulling the bathroom apart (to solve a little rat issue), moving mulch, doing a jigsaw, learning the ukelele, and playing solitaire, that is!